- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced yellow onion
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced peeled carrot
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 3 cups (750 mL) peeled diced potato
- 3 oz (85 g) smoked candied salmon nuggets, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 cups (1 L) fish stock (or chicken or vegetable stock)
- 10 oz (280 g) rockfish fillet, cubed (or other firm white fish)
- 1 cup (250 mL) roughly chopped kale
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) heavy cream
- 1.5 oz (45 mL) white wine
Melt butter in soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and salt. Cook for 5 minutes to soften, stirring frequently.
Stir in flour and thyme to coat vegetables. Add potato and candied salmon. Pour in stock. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in rockfish, kale and heavy cream. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat. Stir in wine.
Credited to WEST COAST CHOWDER by Amy Bronee